Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Do Women make worse Bosses

It's a question that came to my mind- after reading to a lot of tales about women in power in different Industries and Functions- Are women in power and responsible positions obsessed with proving their mettle? Do they go on a overdrive leading to discontentment within their teams?Is it because they are still a minority that they suffer from insecurities ? Look at the examples below-

Pooja Bhatt- Director and Producer of Indian Feature Films- Nearly every movie that she produces/directors gets noticed because of some controversy with the staff-either the actors or the Film Crew- the nauture of complaints are nearly the same- Bad Behaviour, not keeping promises in terms of roles, remunerations, petty behaviour like chopping of roles etc etc. I am not sure though if this is a publicity stunt- if it is- it is quite a juvenile one which obviously doesn't seem to be working- given the box office results of her films

Ektaa Kapoor- Another one in the same or rather similar industry- She is the queen of Indian Television - and she demands attention apparently like a queen in ways that would put Cleopatra to shame.Apparently she dictates her staff about which informal gatherings they should attend or they shouldn't attend, replaces cast on minor disputes wihout any heed to contracts etc. Her recent appearance on a popular Chat Show with her "yes" Men in tow- kind of validated all the rumours- If I had a production house and was surrounded by cronies who say "yes" to everything I say- I would have drowned in embarrassment

Kiran Bedi- She has always made news for various resons and has always made us proud also. But at the same time there have been lesser known reports of her subordinates not being happy with her, her high-handedness has always been a corridor discussion in the IPS Cadre. What's more she is highly unapologetic about her behaviour and insists on it given the fact that she is the face of Indian Police Service( which is no mean feat by any standards of course)

There are numerous other examples from the corporate world that I keep hearing all the time-one in my org- a very simple one but very indicative
In a org that prides itself on being one of the first to introduce the "first name" culture- my female boss manages to get many of her reportees to call her "Madam" and is quite happy about it:)There are other 9 Directors in the org -all of them Male- have never heard anyone of them doing that- Even Gates answers to Bill:)))

Of course these are very few examples and I would be quite happy to know about instances contradicting my assumption:))

5 comments:

Rambler said...

I have heard the same too, that women make worse bosses. apart from on bad experience, I haven't experiences much of this so far.
And in that case, I think that person was worse...

দোয়েল said...

Interesting indeed...but one thing I can`t understand,why do women want to srpass men when they claim equality of both the genders.probably this being a worse boss has its base on their feeling of insecurity.a person be it man or a woman need dignity,& it can be achieved without being dominating...that`s what i believe in....keep writing didi.

Shreyasi Deb said...

Mishi

Your points and assumptions are quite correct but I have had a very pleasant experience with my female boss. I guess it also depends on the personality than the gender.

Dusty Fog said...

Hello there - having read your blog I must say that I have been fortunate seems like, to have not had to work for a lady boss. Hence i may have the thought that it comes to "boss" handling skills. Be it a man or a woman boss, one is a still a subordinate and must be skilled in handling them, one way or the other.

Bhavesh Sanghvi said...

I do not think that one's gender makes them any better or worse than what they actually are.
I have not had any female supervisors for long periods, so I do not have any personal experience about working under them. However, I know a few women who would be a very nice supervisor.
Still I would take this to my original point, i.e. how does your gender at all makes you worse (or better for that matter)?