Monday, August 20, 2007

The Wonder Years

Today I came across several of my school friends' profiles in Orkut- and for a good twenty minutes my mind drifted back to the past- to those wonder years- when life was lived for its own sake-without any deadlines or purposes .....One of the benefits of living in a small town is the high visiblity and familiarity with each other. The school years-the large part of it spent in girlish leisure, discovering the joys of growing each day- I remember the first time I read a mills and boons in class 9 I think- i went to sleep dreaming of knights in shining armour....

There was this other incident I remember when I got a prize for embroidery and needle work- when I barely could manage to sew buttons on my shirt- it was the first time I won something which I did not deserve - the sinking feeling in my tummy did not subside- learnt a very important lesson that day- its important to earn success in order to be able to enjoy it- the sense of accomplishment doesnt come easy....

Exam results, competitions, debates, quizzes, petty quarrels, sharing tiffins, planning picnics-all those seem to be a part of an alien world now....Maya, Monika, Ananya, Tanushree-some of close friends then- are now completely out of my orbit- likewise I am for them....Maya fulfilled her dream of becoming a doctor, Monika is a banker, Ananya and Tanushree are homemakers and I drifted into the corporate world....and thus moved apart our worlds- once friends for forever...now good thoughts and memories in each other's hearts...

Such is Life.....

3 comments:

Rambler said...

some things are never forgotten, it just needs some trigger to relive.

orkut ha?, our id exchange is still hanging right :)

DreamCatcher said...

nothing like childhood friends..they have seen you sans makeup and all the rest of the adult things...and they still love you...

Shreyasi Deb said...

Oh Mishi
That brought a flood of memories for me although I went to a co-ed school so there were a lot of sweet boys too :-) before I discovered the horrendous grown-up men cadre!
But the girls have always stayed through thick and thin